This site may contains affiliate links to products and/or sponsored content. Girl Appetit may receive a commission for purchases made through such links.
Summer is just around the corner which means that we are officially approaching BBQ season! One of my favorite summer traditions include firing up the grill, cook outs and lots of delicious side dishes to be enjoyed outside with family and friends. Potato Salad is one of my favorite recipes to make because it’s easy, minimalistic and always a hit!
What Goes Inside Potato Salad?
There are so many types of veggies and herbs you can add to your potato salad, I really love how create you can get when it comes to this classic side dish. Personally, I love keeping it simple, with just a few simple ingredients you will end up with a delicious potato salad that everyone is going to love at your next BBQ!
FRESH VEGGIES AND HERBS
- celery gives potato salad a fabulous crunch and it’s definitely a must when it comes to ingredients you have to include in your potato salad
- pickles are a great addition, they give this potato salad recipe a punch of flavor and added crunch too!
- green onions and fresh parsley add so much flavor to this recipe
- dill, thyme and oregano round up the aromatic herbs that will take this potato salad to the next level
What Type of Potatoes are Best?
I love using Yukon gold potatoes. Personally I think they make the best potato salad. Their skin is a lot thinner than russet, so if you aren’t planning on peeling your potatoes I highly suggest you go with the Yukon potatoes. They are very rich in flavor and aren’t as dry and fluffy as other potatoes.
- peel your potatoes to get the perfect potato salad texture
- make sure to bring the water to a boil before you boil the potatoes
- when your potatoes are done be sure to allow them to cool completely before adding the rest of your ingredients
- to avoid mashing your potatoes while you are mixing be sure to add in all your remaining ingredients and fold in carefully
- refrigerate your potato salad before serving
Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- April 28, 2021
- Print this
- 5-6 Yukon golden potatoes
- 2 celery ribs, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup diced pickles
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp pink salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- Step 1
- Wash and peel potatoes
- Step 2
- Cut potatoes in half. You want to ensure that all potatoes are the same size so that they cook evenly
- Step 3
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Step 4
- Once water is boiling add in your potatoes
- Step 5
- Boil might die down so bring water back to a boil then down to a high simmer
- Step 6
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until you are able to stab each piece through with a sharp knife
- Step 7
- Do not overcook your potatoes!
- Step 8
- When done, remove from water and allow potatoes to cool completely
- Step 9
- Once potatoes have cooled down cut into bite size pieces and put in a large mixing bowl
- Step 10
- Add in all remaining ingredients and carefully mix your potato salad
- Step 11
- Fridge for about half hour, serve and enjoy!
[…] Corn and Zucchini Salad, Oven Roasted Artichokes, my favorite Vegan Creamy Mushroom Risotto, Classic Potato Salad or these incredibly easy Smashed […]